Friday 5 June 2009

The 2nd Play "WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?"

WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?

CHARACTERS, in order of Appearance:Soldier The Voice

ACT I - Battlefield, there is the sound of gunfire, a soldier falls to the floor wounded

ACT 1 - Battlefield


THE SOLDIER: "Oh my god"

A deep voice from above replies

THE VOICE: "To whom are you referring?"

THE SOLDIER: "My god"

THE VOICE: "Well there are a lot of us here and it would be most helpful if you could refer to us by name"

THE SOLDIER (confused): "But god's name is god"

THE VOICE: "Ah, but is it Barry God or Charles God? Is it Matilda God or Jane God? It would at least help to know if it was male or female"

THE SOLDIER: "Er...Do we have to go through all this? I'm dying here"

THE VOICE: "Well if you want someone to help we need to get the right one, don't we?"

THE SOLDIER: "Oh ok, I suppose it's a male god, at least that's what I've been led to believe"

THE VOICE: "Well that narrows it down"

THE VOICE shouts as if to a room full of people: "All women gods to leave the room"

He talks to the soldier again

THE VOICE: "So, has he got long hair or short hair?"

THE SOLDIER (in a pained voice): "Er...long hair..look this really hurts, could we hurry it up a bit?"

THE VOICE shouts as if to a room full of people again: "All men with short hair leave the room"

He talks to the soldier again

THE VOICE: "what did you say?"

THE SOLDIER: "Could we speed it up a bit?"

THE VOICE: "Yes, yes. Now does he wear glasses?"

THE SOLDIER (exasperated): "How in god's name do I know?"

THE VOICE: "Well, does he have a moustache?"

THE SOLDIER: "What?"

THE VOICE: "Does he have a moustache?"

THE SOLDIER: "Yes he definitely has a moustache, now can I get some spiritual help?"

THE VOICE shouts as if to a room full of people again: "All those with moustaches stay in the room, the rest of you leave"

He talks to the soldier again

THE VOICE:"Now then, nearly there. Does he have a limp?"

THE SOLDIER: "How the fuck should I know whether he has a limp...er ..no he doesn't have a limp. Now can I get some fucking help down here?"

THE VOICE shouts as if to a room full of people again: "All those with limps leave the room"

He talks to the soldier again

THE VOICE:"Ah we are only left with one, so this must be your god."

The Voice talks to the last god left in the room

THE VOICE: "What's your name?"


We hear no answer but the voice carries on

THE VOICE:"Ah, I see er.hmmmm. How silly of me, should have known really"

He talks to the soldier again

THE VOICE: "Er it would appear that I am your God , my name is, funnily enough, God God, so it seems that you were in fact calling for the right one all along."

There is no response from the soldier

THE VOICE: "I say young man did you hear me .. Oh .ah..I see you're dead now. Ah well never mind, maybe you'll be luckier in your next life"

No comments:

Post a Comment